Tourtiere


This is a dish I learned to make in a cooking class at George Brown last year.  We made our own pastry, but this one here is with frozen butter puff pastry.  Pastry isn't exactly my friend so I avoid using it as much as possible.   Side note: let puff pastry thaw for about 30 minutes before you unroll. 





I served this last night with roasted butternut squash and pickled beets.  This morning I had it for breakfast heated with a side of ketchup... just as good.  I'll list the recipe I used, but feel free to use a combination of different meats and vegetables.

You may want to experiment a little with the spices, as they're all pretty powerful.  Maybe add half when you Sauté the vegetables and add more when you adjust the seasoning.




Regular size package of ground pork (approx. 560 kg.)
1 small onion chopped
1 celery stk. finely diced
1/2 carrot grated
2-3 garlic cloves minced
1 tbs. parsley chopped
1 small potato (Yukon Gold is nice) grated
1 tbs. of vegetable oil
1.5 tbs. butter
2 tbs. breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp. of each of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice ground
Salt and pepper to taste
4 oz of chicken or beef stock
1 egg

Sauté the meat in the oil without browning and add salt and pepper.
Add carrot, celery, onion, spices and butter and cook until tender.
Add stock to mixture and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Grate potato into the meat and add bread crumbs - this will give it a smooth texture.
Adjust seasoning and let cool.
Line pie plate dough and fill with the cooled meat mixture.
Egg wash edge of dough, cover with another sheet of dough and seal.  Egg wash top and cut a small chevron.  I also cut out two leaves and berries using the scrap pieces of dough.
Bake for 40 minutes at 375 F.

Comments

  1. oh my god i love tourtiere, we made it in my grade 5 home ec class and i still remember it. yours looks better tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's starting to become one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment