Pork Braised in Milk


A.K.A. Milk Meat, but I think the above sounds better.  I really need to work on my food styling/photography.  Maybe I need to ask Madeleine for some tips.

I really enjoyed this recipe.  Perfect for a chilly Sunday evening when you're in no rush to go anywhere and it has the time to slowly braise.  I've seen many variations of this recipe and finally decided to try it when I saw Laura Calder do it on the Food Network.  The pork is so tender and flavourful!  The sauce also has lots of flavour and it's so easy to make.  I haven't mastered gravy, so I really appreciated how simple this was.   This is her recipe with a few minor changes.  By the way, Foodnetwork.ca has redesigned their website and it's way easier to find recipes.  The search function is almost exactly the same as epicurious and I'm a big big fan of epicurious.  You must check it out if you haven't already.

1  pork roast,  fat trimmed
4 garlic cloves, peeled and cut into slivers
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, cut in half
1 parsnip or carrot, cut in half
2 large rosemary sprigs
3 bay leaves
4 cups whole milk

Make small slits all over the meat with a sharp knife, inserting a sliver of garlic into each as you go. (If you can do this several hours or the night before cooking, all the better.) Rub the meat all over with salt and pepper. Heat the oven to 350F.

Melt the butter in a deep, lidded casserole dish, and brown the meat well on all sides. Add the onion, parsnip, and herbs to the pot. Pour over the milk, and bring to a simmer. Cover the dish and transfer to the oven until tender, about 3 hours, turning the meat at least once.

Remove the meat from the pot and wrap in foil to keep warm. Remove the herbs, carrot, and onion and discard. Boil them down to about a cup and blend with a blender.

I've realized that I don't have many veggies dishes on here, so I'm going to try an make an effort to include more.  Soon I'll post a recipe for a great sweet potato and cauliflower curry.  It's very simple to make and it's cheap!

Comments