Chocolate Cake and Fajitas

Meg made this from scratch for Phil’s birthday. I’m not much of a fan of baking, so good thing Phil and I have friends like Meg. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind sharing the recipe if anybody asked. It was so chocolaty and moist!




We also had chicken fajitas with some beautiful free-range breasts I picked up from Boffo's. I marinated the chicken in lemon juice from two lemons and about a ¼ cup of vegetable oil to give them some extra flavour.  


Fajitas were one of the first things I made when I started cooking, that and French onion soup. I don’t think I’ve made fajitas in about 10 years, and I can’t remember the last time I made French onion soup. I think I stayed away from the soup because of all the onions. I remember I used to chop them up in my mom’s kitchen wearing goggles to protect my eyes.

Okay now on to the fajitas!

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts, skin on
6 slices of bacon, chopped
1 onion, sliced
½ Tbs. of dried pepper flakes or a fresh pepper
1 Yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 Red bell pepper, sliced
1 Cup of mushrooms, sliced
½ Yellow zucchini, sliced
Worcestershire sauce

Serve at the table:

1 Cup of cheddar cheese, grated
1 Cup of sour cream
1 Cup of Salsa
1 Large tomato, chopped
¼ Cup of Cilantro
8 Tortillas, warmed

Heat the oil in a heavy Sautee pan, cook the chicken breasts over medium high heat until cooked. Drain and set aside.

Add the bacon, cook for a few minutes, and add onion, chile pepper flakes to the oil in the pan and sauté over high heat for 2 minutes and drain the bacon fat if there’s a lot. Add the bell peppers, mushrooms and zucchini; cook over medium high heat adding a good shake of Worcestershire sauce until the vegetables have cooked.

Cut chicken into strips and return to the pan and heat until sizzling hot. Serve right away, with warm tortillas, sour cream, tomatoes, salsa, cheese and cilantro.

Serves about 4 with lots of leftovers.   We actually had a lot more chicken than what's showing in the photo.

Comments

  1. That chocolate cake was outstanding. Really rich and perfect moisture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment