Mercatto

Another one of my favourite places to eat close to work. Becuase it's always packed, it’s key to go after the lunch rush or make a reservation. Although I have tried making reservations a day before and still had no luck.  I don't usually plan where I'm eating much more before that. 


See how they put the prosciutto and arugula on top of the pizza after it's cooked?  Love it.

Friday I left early to meet Keri who was visiting from NYC and her sister Shannon for a late lunch. It was so great to catch up with her before we left to the cottage. I was pleasantly surprised to find a spot on the patio since it was such a perfect day out.  You know, it was probably because of World Cup.  I think Bri mentioned that later when we were at a pub, again on a patio. 

Similar to Terroni, but without the attitude and rules, this place offers good quality authentic Italian dishes. If you’ve been to Terroni you’ll know about them not cutting their pizzas because ‘that’s the way they do it in Italy’ I’ve also had a friend tell me they refused giving her balsamic vinegar to go with her olive oil and bread. Anyway, this is supposed to be about Mercatto. Big fan of the food and atmosphere here.

Keri and her sister shared a few dishes from mushrooms with red onion and vinaigrette to thinly sliced beef, arugula and capers.  I had the thin crust pizza with olives, artichokes, prosciutto… and they cut the pizza into slices! You know how awkward it is to eat a pizza whole?  Didn't quite capture the food here, but you get the idea.

Mercatto’s flagship location is on Toronto Street where I think I tried it for the first time. It began primarily as a market with home-cooked meals for take-out or at one of their long harvest style tables. Because of the popularity it wasn’t long before they grew into a full-service restaurant. Now you must go at once !

Comments

  1. have you been to cafe doria? i feel like you would love that pizza too. they're also arugula piler on'ers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I live downtown west and will have to try this place out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment