Salmon with Kale and Lentil-Quinoa Medley

You don't need to wait until January to start eating better.  Why not take a break between Christmas parties and have a light satisfying dinner at home.  I know when I've had a lot of rich-tasting food I crave dishes like this.

January's issue of Bon Appetite Magazine inspired me.  They also have a great recipe for a healthy breakfast cookie that I'm looking forward to trying.  I find since I've started cooking for Jane we've been eating healthier.  We have always eaten well, but we've just had more iron and fiber-rich foods that are also delicious.  I guess I'm just being reintroduced some favourites I've forgotten about. 

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup of Red wine vinegar
1 Garlic clove, minced
1/2 Cup of extra virgin olive oil
2 Tsp of Dijon mustard
2 Tsp of lemon juice, squeezed
Kosher salt, to taste
2 Salmon fillets 
1 Bunch of kale, large centre ribs and stems removed, torn into pieces
1/2 Cup of cooked green or red lentils
1 Cup of cooked quinoa

For the Salmon and the medley:

Preheat oven to 450F.

In a bowl combine vinegar, garlic, mustard, extra virgin olive oil,  lemon and salt.  Place salmon in a shallow dish, pour vinaigrette over the salmon and let marinate in the fridge for about 10 minutes. Cook salmon until opaque in centre and can be easily flaked with a fork, about 12 minutes. 

Meanwhile, heat oil over medium-low, add garlic and cook just until it's beginning to brown.   Working in batches and adding more oil as needed, cook kale until beginning to wilt.  Add cooked lentils and quinoa to same skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Spoon lentil-quinoa medley onto plates.  Top with salmon and kale. 

Comments

Post a Comment